Tuesday 8 May 2012

Cars dress

Well this weekend I have mainly been trying to get a Disney Cars dress made.  This didn't happen over the weekend at all.  We had my stepdaughter this weekend so mostly the plans for sewing went out the window.  I did manage to cut the pieces which turned out to be an absolute disaster as my C (my stepdaughter) decided to write on the fabric.  I am less than impressed as C is 8 and more than old enough to know you don't draw or write on things that a) don't belong to you and b) aren't paper.  She also decided to write "Jakes" on it.


Thankfully it's mostly come out with a wipe from a baby wipe and when it's washed it'll totally come out.  Thanks C.

So after the writing disaster I decided to try and get it done while Daniel was sleeping and Jake was engrossed in cars and painting  This didn't quite go to plan as Jake decided to 'help' me pin, and then screwed up all my bias binding.  Thanks Jake.  He did look incredibly cute (and messy) when painting though so all is forgiven.

As a result it did take me about two hours to get to the sewing stage which went fairly well.  The dress isn't finished though as the bias tape I was using was just awful thanks to being screwed up.  It would just not lay properly at all so I need to unpick what I've done and get some more bias tape and hope I can salvage it.

As well as dealing with Jake and the addition to the fabric I had a cat who suddenly thought she was roaming the plains of the savannah.  Please note the blue hand print on the chair!


As a result I have no concluded I am NEVER sewing while the children are around again.  I thought it would be fine but clearly as soon as I do something slightly different to our day time routine it results in small fingers becoming very interested. It's sweet that Jake wants to join in and help Mummy but it's such a hindrance.

Just to show you the dress so far. 

An example of how the bias tape will look (but better)


It's just been one of 'those' weekends.  Here's hoping for a better week and fingers crossed a move date!  I have lots of plans for our new house which includes a nice sewing cubby which will keep little fingers out!  I may well manage to make the sewing cubby while we're still here as I definitely need it sooner than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment